Breasts come in different shapes and sizes. Your breasts are naturally shaped in such a way that it’s proportionate and complements your body, but as result of aging or breastfeeding sagging hides the natural shape, beauty and attractiveness. Surgical breast lift also known as mastopexy is the process of surgically lifting a sagging breast in order to enhance its shape for a more attractive appearance.
During breast lift, a pattern incision is made, excess skin is removed and breast tissue is reshaped to restore firmness and raise the breasts back to its youthful shape. The skin is then sutured together with fine sutures, usually under general anaesthesia.
Motherhood & Pregnancy
Sagging breast is a commonplace of motherhood and breast feeding. During pregnancy the breast becomes bigger as it prepares for lactation, the distension of the breasts with milk causes the fibrous frame which holds the breasts in their youthful attractive shape to crack down and the skin to stretch. More so, during pregnancy the expectant mother put on weight and then loses it after delivery, hence leaving the enlarged breasts hanging in an unsupported-stretched position.
Unfortunately, after the age of 20, we produce 1% less collagen each day. Collagen is the most abundant protein in our body, it gives the skin it’s strength and elasticity.
Due to the effects of aging, there's further over stretching and weakening of the fibrous frame which holds up the breast firmly and in shape.
Some other causes of sagging breast include nutritional deficiencies and wearing a poorly fitting bra.
If your breasts are very small or have lost a lot of volume, a combining of breast lift and fat transfer to the breast can be a good way to increase firmness and size.
You might consider a breast lift if:
- Your breasts have lost shape, gotten flatter and longer
- Your nipples fall below your breast creases
- Your breast point directly downward
- One of your breasts falls lower than the other (Breast asymmetry)
- you plan to have children. Pregnancy and breast feeding would probably stretch the breasts, compromising the benefits and results of the breast lift
- Unrealistic about expectations. Nothing wrong with being a dreamer, but if you fill your imagination with all sorts of unrealistic results of how this will dramatically change your life, you may as well forget about it.
- Serous medical conditions & Emotionally unstable.
- Increase fullness and projection of the breasts.
- Enlarge a naturally small breast
- More attractive breast shape and appearance.
- Improve moderate asymmetry of the breasts.